Monday, September 8, 2008

Screenprinting project 'Urban Poster Wall'



This is a project I did during a Textiles elective in 2007. I have mimicked one of Dunedin City's alleyways where many posters are glued up. These posters are advertising gigs and resent album releases for various bands. I always look at these posters because of my interest in music but I became particularly interested in the way some of these posters are peeled back to reveal fragments of past events. This gives a layering effect of time within the City. I started experimenting with the screenprinting technique using photos I had taken from the alleyways. and screenprining them onto different fabric.

The final result was this piece of brown textured fabric with layers of different screenprinted pieces glued on, some have been peeled back to reveal other layers.



This is a site-specific work and the presentation was important. I chose to stick it to a graffiti covered wall and made it become a part of the wall. It molds to the shape of the wall and from a distance looks like a part of it. I would like to extend this project further and do a large version of it one day, possibly as an installation to be exhibited.

1 comment:

Francis said...

that shit is fresh.... i like ur "graffiti" lol urban guerilla art fascinates me... ur my hero bro...




Francis from
http://cynicshit.blogspot.com/